Because we have such a huge operation running here — and have a whole team of people working on a bio to put right here, I’ll be brief.
Pswingset have become some of our very good friends and people whose opinions we’ve come to both value and respect over the years. They are, to be frank, the most unprolific prolific band I know. Let me explain through the lazy use of an unordered list:
- Jordan used to play in Adios (Tribunal Records) and played bass for Annabel (Tiny Engines) for a bit.
- Danny used to play in Little Compass (Negative Progression) and currently plays for Papermoons (Deep Elm) and had stints in River City High (Doghouse) and O Pioneers!! (Asian Man)
- Joel plays in Junius (Prosthetic)
- Colby used to play in MANS and currently in Brother/Ghost
- They’ve collectively toured the planet more than a few times
- Ever heard of the Kling Thing house?
I digress, though — They’re much more modest than I am. To me, this is a band compromised of individuals who know exactly what they want their sound to be, with the pedigree to achieve it. We couldn’t be happier to be working with them on releasing their next record which they just finished recording in Denver and which will be mixed and mastered by Tim Gerak of The Six Parts Seven.
“[A] band that only continues to improve.”
-Circling the Drain
“Pswingset possess a steady and calculated hand on these three songs. These guys would have fit in nicely on the old Crank! roster back in the day. This demo shows a ton of potential and I will be waiting on pins and needles for the band’s upcoming releases.”
-Sound As Language
“[I]t’s also somewhat on the Braid side of things, but there’s also a neat droney thing going on in there, and I’m liking the heck out of it.”
-Space City Rock
“[T]his is scrappy ’90s-style emo recorded raw, a mix of jangly and jagged guitar pop for Young Republicans Be Free and a slower and more emotionally desperate but nonetheless paced vibe for Here Comes Rolling. There’s definitely some hints of pre-Very Emergency Promise Ring in here, too.”
“[T]uneful, lonesome midwest styleâ€¦ from the loafing-down-a-dirt-road summer day rock of Husk to the more moody complex style of Bokeh... this band is a welcome sound to my ears.”
Recent Tumblr Mentionscherrycolachampions: Weapons of Mass Creation Showcase @... Thu, Mar 07, 2013
Weapons of Mass Creation Showcase @ SXSW
RSVP on Eventbrite here: http://wmcshowcasesxsw.eventbrite.com/
We are excited to welcome our new guitarist, Matt Clark to the Pswingset family. Matt has previously played with Jordan in the Akron OH-based Adios, and is also currently in Papermoons and Ola Podrida. We would like to thank Joel for all the hard work and time put into this band over the last year and half; it was certainly a blast and some of the funnest times. We wish him the best of luck with his enduring efforts in Junius, who you can see on tour right now w/ Caspian and Silver Snakes!
That?s it for now! See you at SXSW! (show info and even more news coming very soon?)
(Photo by Molly Clark)
All Our False Starts
In a scene of indie and emo revival bands, Pswingset makes an album that is a challenge to get into and is devoid of expectations. I applaud them greatly for it. They could?ve taken the easy route and recorded something that people would?ve loved immediately,?
i have multiple interviews (pswingset, kling thing) in this issue AND an ad (BDWHY) AND danny has an interview. i think cherry cola champions might have something in it, too. pretty insane and an awesome example of our tight knit world.
good great read for ya.
- Circa Survive ?Violent Waves? (Self-released)
- Hit The Lights ?Invicta? (Razor & Tie)
- Jen Wood ?Finds You In Love? (New Granada)
- Polar Bear Club ?Clash Battle Guilt Pride? (Bridge 9 Records)
- Buried Beds ?Tremble The Sails? (Self-released)
- Rodeo Ruby Love ?This Is Why We Don?t Have Nice Things? (Pentimento)
- Pswingset ?All Our False Starts? (Topshelf Records)
- Make Do And Mend ?End Measured Mile? (Paper + Plastik)
- Laura Stevenson & The Cans ?Sit Resist? (Don Giovanni)
- John Frusciante (from Red Hot Chili Peppers) ?The Empyrean? (Record Collection)
- Bonus (Unlocked after 500 Downloads): The Decoration ?Anywhere is Home EP? (from Australia)
- Bonus (Unlocked after 1000 Downloads): Prawn ?Ships EP? (Topshelf)
leaving tomorrow for a 3 day weekend tour, playing shows with the new trust, hoofprints (mem. of football etc., little compass, panic in detroit), stegosaur (mem. of sohns, pillow talk), pillow talk, and more.
we will have all merch with us (all colors of vinyl, import CDs, shirts, etc.). please come hang out, say hi, buy us a drink, etc.
if anyone?s got the hookup for tattoos in denton, houston, or san antonio let us know!
Go see one of my favorite bands, Texas!
Pswingset - All Our False Starts
White / 100
quite possibly the last show of the year and we get to share if with one of our favorite bands! also, our first show in denton!
Album: All Our False Starts - White, Topshelf 2012, First Pressing, /100.
this is tonight!
yell it from the rooftops; paste it from your clipboard.
pswingset - all our false starts (2012)
ohio: emo, rock, math rock
this is that type of emo with the really full guitar tones and straight jamming stuff rather than being all twinkly. straightforward, driving rock-leaning stuff that i?ve been waiting to hear for a very long time. vocals are cool, lyrics are great, this is a surprising album to listen to and might be in the running for aoty. fucking GET THIS THING. oh man.