We’re looking for a fall intern. If that interests you, please read on:
Our staff live in different cities spread all over the west coast so there is no central office Topshelf collectively operates from. Instead, we rely heavily on online communication tools and software. With that in mind, we are opening this opportunity up to anyone in the US, though applicants located in the Portland, OR area who can work directly with Kevin in our Northeast Portland home office are preferred.
Broadly speaking, the position will assist Topshelf staff with day-to-day needs while exposing you to the inner workings of running a record label—promoting, distributing, marketing and ultimately releasing music physically and digitally in a fun, fast paced, but also deliberate environment. We are a small team with limited resources and bandwidth, but we make a lot happen by playing to our collective strengths—this includes you. We’re looking for someone who can help with the more mundane aspects of running a label, sure (more on that below), but we’re also looking to highlight and showcase what you’re great at. Video editing, illustration, animation, web development, photography, graphic design, copywriting—whatever it is you’re excited about, we want to provide you with a platform to showcase your skillset while helping our roster grow and gaining experience and insight into how an independent record label operates.
Applicants should be familiar with and able to work within online communication tools and software like Dropbox, Slack, Wunderlist and G Suite. Familiarity with Adobe software like Illustrator and Photoshop is definitely a plus. Experience with e-commerce platforms like Bandcamp, Limited Run, Squarespace, Discogs, etc. is also a major plus but nbd if you have no idea what that means! It’s not required that you be a, uh, extremely “online” person, but some social media savvy is encouraged. Otherwise, we want to lean into what you’re excited about and provide an opportunity for you to showcase and grow your skillset(s). Lastly, please have more than just a cursory understanding of our roster and catalog.
- The position pays $250.00/month.
- we can accomodate college credit.
- We are flexible on schedule and hours, but it is expected that you would be available at least 15 hours a week sometime between 10am and 5pm pst.
- Though we will be opening this opportunity up for the duration of the fall semester (early September through mid-December), we are flexible on the internship’s total duration, start, and end times.
To apply, please send an email to: info at topshelfrecords dot com . Please be sure to include the word “INTERNSHIP” in the subject. Include your name, some artist(s) or album(s) on the label you enjoy, along with a little about yourself, what you do, and links to any relevant info (a portfolio, past projects, a social media profile, etc.).
Please no attachments other than a resume!!!!!
Thanks for your time and consideration.
other recent posts
- Ekko Astral emerges from the D.C. punk scene with a new standalone single "baethoven"
- Thanya Iyer // West coast tour dates with Land of Talk
- Weatherday // Merch Sale and North American Tour with Panchiko and They Are Gutting a Body of Water
- Elephant Gym // New Music and World Tour
- 2023 release guide + moving sale
- Gulfer // New pop-leaning single "Clean"